 Off-Topic / Geek / 223
  Forging an NNTP header Message-ID

Hey all NNTP gurus, How does one construct an NNTP header Message-ID? Is there an algorighm? Is it random? I'm writing a script in Perl which would use Net::NNTP to submit an article to an NNTP server. However, I would need to supply the entire text (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Forging an NNTP header Message-ID

(...) The newsserver will automatically assign one for your message if you leave that line out. No need to bother making one. --Todd (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Forging an NNTP header Message-ID

(...) Woo-hoo! Thanks, Todd! :-, Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Forging an NNTP header Message-ID

(...) It is assigned by the newsserver to which you post. The Heder fields from your message, divided into first things you do have to provide: (...) (okay, this one's a special case - Lugnet innd has been modified to auto-insert this one - on most (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Forging an NNTP header Message-ID

(...) There are many different types of algorithms, I believe, but the main point is that the Message-ID header needs to be unique. The domain part of the Message-ID makes sure that anybody on a different domain gets a different ID. The local part (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)