 Off-Topic / Geek / 2172
Re: OT: P!$#ed of at ebay.com.au
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 03:47:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 03:28:28AM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Indeed. vi sucks... however I feel it's good to know since it is likely to • be
on every unix box you walk up to. My preferred editor (emacs) often has to • be
installed in order for me to use it.

while I used to use vi only in emergancies, I found that lately I use it (vim)
almost exclusivly.  Not really sure why, cause I did install emacs on my
laptop...  weird.

I feel the same way about notepad on Windows boxes, it stinks but it's how I
usually program if I am at a client site for only a day or two.

well, on windows you rarely actually need to edit text files...

au contraire. It's partly a style issue and partly a matter of the type of
work you do, but I totally disagree, at least for me.

I was just at a client in Alabama (monday thru yesterday) teaching them how to
use our product to create websites and at any given time I had about 15
windows open... several file browsers, 2 or 3 html browsers, our type tree
designer, our database designer, our map designer, our web broker component
integrator control panel, a paint program, and 3-6 different notepad
instances, looking at log files, results, templates, control/config files and
the HTML source being produced. Some viewing, but about 1/3-1/2 editing.

I may be atypical, but I have 3 editor instances open right now as I type this
because I am doing other stuff while waiting for the browser to display the
next thing.

++Lar

Message has 1 Reply:
  Re: OT: P!$#ed of at ebay.com.au

(...) yup... pretty different situation... if I ever need to touch a win box at work, it's usually to set up the network on it, or install something for a client. Never do any kind of development or even desktop use on it. yah, right now I have (...) (24 years ago, 7-Oct-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Message is in Reply To:
  Re: OT: P!$#ed of at ebay.com.au

(...) while I used to use vi only in emergancies, I found that lately I use it (vim) almost exclusivly. Not really sure why, cause I did install emacs on my laptop... weird. (...) well, on windows you rarely actually need to edit text files... (24 years ago, 7-Oct-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)