 Off-Topic / Geek / 2158
Re: OT: P!$#ed of at ebay.com.au
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 14:35:41 GMT

In lugnet.org.au, Todd Lehman writes:

OK, the top dumbest thing is U.S. weights and measures (pounds, gallons,
inches, feet, miles, etc.) rather than the metric system, which fully rules.

And the third dumbest thing is U.S. paper sizes (Letter, Ledger, Statement,
etc.) rather than paper sizes based on the square root of 2 (i.e., DIN A4,
B5, etc.)

I thought the DIN A4, B5, etc. paper sizes were based on the Golden Mean, not
the square root of 2.  Or are those two different flavors of the same
universal constant?

But your #3 item is just a variation of #1.  Heck, so is #2.

Earlier in the thread-time, Todd wrote:

I'm annoyed by it too -- and I'm American!  I think the
American dating system
(mm/dd/yyyy) are the second dumbest thing on the entire
planet.  dd/mm/yyyy
makes so much more sense.

But dd/mm/yyyy doesn't make nearly as much sense as yyyy/mm/dd.

Steve

Message has 1 Reply:
  Re: OT: P!$#ed of at ebay.com.au

(...) Both have cool properties, but the DIN A4, B5, etc. paper sizes are based on sqrt(2) because if you cut them down the longer side, each half retains the original aspect ratio -- perfect for 2-UP and 4-UP and saddle-stitching documents when (...) (24 years ago, 6-Oct-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)