 Off-Topic / Geek / 214
  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

(...) I was contemplating doing something similar a couple weeks ago when MikeS was talking about how much he used the search box... Rather than just giving a link into the DB, it really ought to (if it could) give a thumbnail and the set's data (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

I don't think it would be sloppy at all. I think the benifit of being able to reference a set would vastly outweigh the cases where people are talking about their 1998 corvette. Besides, it would be a subtle reminder to stay topical. It might be a (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) Here's another idea! How about using a spacer GIF image as the link?! 8x5 pixels is probably big enough. Tell people that they can click on the "space" after a set# to look it up. You do this for all suspect (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

(...) <SNIP> Hmmm... Here's an idea. If I'm talking about set #295 instead of my bowling score, I could type "...telephone from :295: is my favorite....". Just a random thought... Charles (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

(...) Or you can do the opposite and require special markup around the number to be considered a set # for automatic linking. Some ideas: I'd really like to my hands on a set:5952-2: soon! I'd really like to my hands on a <SET>5952-2</SET> soon! (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 06:53:49 GMT, Todd Lehman uttered the following profundities... (...) Tommy 2tone? There's a blast from the past.... (25 years ago, 27-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Idea for automatic Lugnet Set Database linking

(...) [snip] (...) [snip] Actually, you answered your own issue about the most convenient way to specify set numbers and eliminate false positives: check for "#" followed by two or more digits! This does, admittedly, still expose a false positive (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.database)