 Off-Topic / Geek / 2135
Re: Why does lugnet force my to re-register periodically?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 19:25:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Paul Sinasohn writes:
Periodically (every month or so) Lugnet wants me to re-register and be
re-verified, even though there is a cookie for Lugnet in the cookies.txt file
in my Netscape directory.

The cookie looks like this:

.lugnet.com TRUE / FALSE 2147483602 NEWSGROUPFILTER %2B

Is that the _only_ cookie you see for .lugnet.com in your cookies file??
If so, your browser has dumped the other LUGNET cookies that were there and
only left you with that one cookie.

Is there something that makes the cookie expire? I have my browser set to
accept only cookies sent back to the server, with no notifications.

The above cookie you list isn't expired (otherwise it would be gone from the
cookie file) and its expiration date is also set pretty far into the future
anyway.

What (apparently) happened is that your browser dumped the more important
cookies (the one with your Member sign-in and your name & email) and kept
the less-important cookies (the one with the newsgroup filter).  It's
unfortunate, but I think Netscape only holds a maximum of 400 cookies (or
something insanely small like that) across all sites.  You'd think they'd
delete them based on an LRU (least recently used) scheme, but apparently
not...hmm.

What I would suggest to work around this, Paul, is signing in as you,

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/sign-in/

and then filling out the news-posting setup form again,

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

and that will store your cookie on the server instead in a "virtual cookie"
that will always be there whenever you're signed in.  Similarly, if you go
to the newsgroup filter page,

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/filter/

and set that again, then that also gets stored on the server instead of
sending you a real cookie.  If you do this for all the things that give you
cookies, then the only LUGNET cookie you ever need is your Member sign-in
cookie, which is easier to replace when lost by your browser than most of
the other cookies, and it's easy to sign out and back in again if you want.

--Todd