 Off-Topic / Geek / 2053
Re: legoland.co.uk attack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:32:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
Dan Boger <dan@wwind.com> wrote:
boooo...
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1110598

Yeah, but at least the guy was cool enough to put up a picture of a Lego
Millennium Falcon. Here's a mirror of the hacked site:

<http://www.alldas.de/hacked/2000/09/10/www.legoland.co.uk/>

Anyone seen that model before?

Also, he did leave a nice message for the admin. :)

An 'Ethical' cracker? IMO he didn't want' to obstruct the site although I cant
find a thorugh link on the mirror (hmm?). He also does have a point regarding
DeCSS, Why should we have to PAY a certian company in Seatlle a small fortune
to be able to watch DVD content on PC's?  From what I hear about it the only
aim of DeCSS is to allow Linux users the abilty to decode DVD to play them on
Linux players (which inceidentally in terms of players for other media types I
have found to be more stable!! How many bugs in WMP?).

(On a side note, some of the Linux Users on a newsgroup called
comp.sys.sinclair get concerned about the use of Flash on sites. That is now a
format that was 'standardised' by the W3C? (How long before we get Shockwave
for Linux?)

Besides If you don't make your standard open- people will break it regardless
better that its broken by crackers and ethical hackers than by a firms
competitors. At least the Linux people won't loose you money! They will still
buy the DVD's!!  If a competitor used it (such as a 'pirate') and kept the
knowledge to themselves, then the authorites would be none the wiser and
potentialy it is more difficult to enforce.

An open system polices itself.  Take Lugnet for example... When somebody
leaked TLG secrets here=== He wasn't popular ISTR....

Despite this I can't condone cracking and subsequent 'replacemnt' of web
content, even if you do leave a message saying how you did it.

Alex ( wearing Absbetos Suit....;-) )