 Off-Topic / Geek / 2033
Re: www.ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:39:23 GMT

Dan Boger <dan@wwind.com> wrote:
we've seen this problem before... it seems that the ldraw.org site lives
in the far depths of the internet.  A lot of people seem to need more than
30 "hops" to get to it, and apparently, there's software out there that
is just not patient enough.  TTL expired" means that the packets "Time To
Live" ended before they reached your computer.
Does anyone have a good solution to this?

After some poking around with traceroute: Looks like it's directly connected
to darenet.dk, and going through nordu.net to get there, and it looks like
nordu.net's main connectivity <http://www.nordu.net/connectivity/> to the US
is through a tangled mess of ebone.net (8 hops in that backbone alone). And
that's not even mentioning anything you have to go through in the US, which
could be a lot if you're, say, on a cable modem on the west coast.

Solution: Darenet needs to get more and better interconnects, and maybe
optimize their own network a bit (7 hops there is quite a few). And there
need to be more transatlantic links overall.

Luckily at work, we peer directly with nordu.net's academic-only link to
Abilene. :)

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                    --->              http://quotes-r-us.org/