 Off-Topic / Geek / 1985
Re: What's wrong with my PC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:48:31 GMT

Selçuk Göre <ssgore@superonline.com> writes:

Actually you already quite guessed the problem. It is overheating CPU or
MB alarm. P2B motherboards have visual (flashing power led) and audio
alarms for that (beeps that you heard).

I didn't hear any beep, it was more like barely audible clicking
sounds.  Also, the flashing power led was very irregular, so I
wouldn't think it was a warning signal.  It appeared more like it was
coused by a shortcut or failed power supply.  But honestly, I don't
know.  I'm not too familiar with PC hardware, so I appreciate any
input.

Either your CPU fan is gone, or your temperature alarm limit is too low
(may be because of trashed BIOS/CMOS settings). I suggest, checking CPU
fan is OK and checking CMOS settings about overheating protection.

The CPU fan runs just fine, I checked it visually and via the BIOS
voltage/temperature monitor screen.  It ran pretty stable at approx
4600RPM.

Also, the motherboard temperature raised from 19 deg Celsius to 20 in
the first two minutes or so.  This is probably normal.  I've never
bothered to check this before, as I don't overclock.  I don't have a
CPU temperature monitor, but I touched the heatsinks after turning it
off and it didn't feel hot.  (This is safe to do, is it not?  I
touched something grounded before touching the heatsinks, getting rid
of static electricity.)

I'll check if there is such a thing as overheating protection in the
BIOS.  Thanks for your help.

Fredrik