 Off-Topic / Geek / 1762
Re: Anybody tried downloading the MS April 2000 SDK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:45:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jamie Obrien writes:
Over a modem that is! This is going to take forever!

I would imagine so...  Do you have any friends or relatives with a fast net
connection and a CD-ROM burner?

Other than Borland Builder and MSVS what else is everybody using these
days to do standard Windows work?

Personally, I use Java (Sun's JDK 1.2 slapped onto Visual Cafe 3.0c to be
precise) and Perl, and I occasionally backslide into MSVC 6.0 if I really
really *really* need a native solution.  Even then, I use Java for the GUI, and
the C++ for the non-GUI native code.

What's the best way to go from Windows to X?

Learn a new language.  Seriously -- you have to sit yourself down and do the
homework all over again.  Switching from one of the big Win32 library sets into
POSIX/glibc/qt/gtk is like stepping into a whole new world.  Virtually every
programming language on Unix (Linux and *BSD, anyway) has a decent GUI
package.  You might as well take the time to be sure you wouldn't be happier
with one of those.

I'm still in your rear vision mirror using BC5.02, please don't
reverse over me!

Mmmmm, Borland.  I liked their DOS compilers.  BC++ 3.1 was the best.  They
sorta took a dive when they started working with Windows, tho.

Cheers,
- jsproat