 Off-Topic / Geek / 1807
Re: Anybody tried downloading the MS April 2000 SDK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:31:08 GMT

Jamie Obrien wrote:
Gday, so has anyone got an easy start here? I'm up to my neck in win32
(in C) no MFC no COM (well c interface to COM which is a pain in the
... vtable). I want to start small in a GUI,

I've found tcl/tk fairly easy to get started in.  There's a shell ("wish" for
"windowing shell") where you can input code and play with the tk (GUI) libs
interactively, and there's some great tutorials as well.  This really helped
me get over my experience with the Windows drag-n-drop GUI construction, and
into the Unix-ish layout-oriented method.  I'll never go back.

What's better, is that the tk libs are usable in lotsa languages, e.g. C/C++,
Perl, etc.  It's fairly stable under Perl -- and you simply gotta learn Perl.
:-,

Hey Borland aint too bad, as long as you can get it to work!!

Nope, ain't bad at all!  I still have the BC++ 3.1 and Turbo Assembler manuals
on my shelf at work; they come in handy sometimes.

If it
wasn't for COM and ActiveX i'd still stay with windows. Honestly,
without windows, we'd all still be living in dos cli or, MAC!!

cli...?  Command-line interface?  Nothing wrong with that -- I perfer
keystrokes over mouseclicks any day.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Uh, two.  Including this one.