 Off-Topic / Geek / 1675
Re: Bad Choices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 00:17:08 GMT

When they first came up with SCSI, the originators of the standard (no, I
don't remember who it was) tried to impress upon everyone else that SCSI
should be pronounced "sexy"... it was the geeks (snorting derisively at a too-
cute acronym, no doubt) that perpetrated the 'scuzzy' pronunciation.

In a not-completely-unrelated topic; I had to step in and tell our Lab admin
today that the 'serial' ZIP drive he couldn't get to work was actually a Mac
SCSI ZIP. The tip-off (I pointed out) was the little SCSI symbol on the cable
he was vainly insisting was a serial cable and on the drive itself.

-Cheese

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Martineau writes:
I wonder if I can start an underground movement among Apple/Mac groupies,
fanatics, etc... to change the _horrid_ pronunciation of SCSI (scuzzy) to
something a little better, like SCSI (sexy).

When I first learned about the small computer systems interface, it seemed
natural to add an 'e' between the 's' and 'c' rather than a 'u' between the
'c' and 's'

Is anyone else miffed at the choice the 'standard-bearers' made?

Maybe if we .geeks band together and unite to calling scuzzy sexy, it might
be commonplace in a year....

Just IMnot-so-HO

--Electro--