 Off-Topic / Geek / 1604
Re: Any cygwin32 users out there?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 15:35:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Sproaticus wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Susan Hoover writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Sproaticus wrote:
Does anyone use cygwin32 (GNU compiler and utils on Win32
platform) for anything?  I gotta buncha "how the hell did you
configure this" Q's I might want to bounce off your head, mostly
re: bash and readline...
Erm, did you ever get a "yes" from anyone?  We're using cygwin32
here at work, but beyond setting it up once and then running stuff
in it every day, I don't know much about configuring it.

Actually, you have the honor of being the first to reply!  :-,

Do you remember what questions you had, 10 months ago?  ;-)

Yeah.  And they still stand.  :-,

Mainly, I was trying to figure out how to get Bash to recognize my
.inputrc; specifically, how to get Bash to set editing-mode to vi.
IOW, I had to learn emacs mode to access any readline features.
:-P  >:-P  >:-P  ack.  *spit*

AFAIK, it's a bug in the Cygwin port, and hasn't been fixed yet.

Wow, you're right.  I just tried all combinations of locations of
.inputrc [c:\, c:\bash, c:\users\default] with all combinations of
stuff in .inputrc ["set editing-mode vi"[1], "set vi-editing-mode"[2],
"set vi-editing-mode on", "set vi-editing-mode true"], and even setting
the INPUTRC environment variable to point to the location of .inputrc,
and none of it works.

However, you can still use this command to switch into vi editing mode:
   set -o vi
And this *does* work.

HTH!

[1] The O'Reilly book "Learning the Bash Shell" documents the parameter
as editing-mode.
[2] bind -l in the cygwin bash shell lists it as vi-editing-mode.

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX