 Off-Topic / Geek / 1395
Re: X server for windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:12:44 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Dan Boger <dan@giccs.georgetown.edu> wrote:
Anyone know of a free X server for windows I could use?  I really want
to be able to edit stuff off my work computer at home, but it's so hard
without VIM/Emacs...

Xwin32 is free for 2 hours of use per session. There's another one called
something like M/X, but if I remember right, it's not as good.

You could also use VNC....
I have VNC set up, and I use it sometimes - but transferring 1600x1200
on a 56K, even over a compressed SSH is too slow for comfort... :/

How fast is your network connection? If it's less than 1.5MB both ways, I'd
not use it for any real work. Instead, the other option (below) is a better
choice.

56K - I've used X over 33k before, and it was better than vnc - still
less data transferred, I guess.

Or, another option, instead of an x server, anyone ever tried to forward
SMB connections over ssh?

You could set up a tunnel -- do PPP over SSH....

hmmm... not sure I understand here...  I connect to GWU for my PPP
connection, and need to get to my computer at Georgetown...  I thought I
might be able to connect the network neighborhood from my home pc to
samba at georgetown, over ssh - but I can't seem to get it to work. :/

Dan