 Off-Topic / Geek / 1394
Re: X server for windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:59:16 GMT

Dan Boger <dan@giccs.georgetown.edu> wrote:
Anyone know of a free X server for windows I could use?  I really want
to be able to edit stuff off my work computer at home, but it's so hard
without VIM/Emacs...

Xwin32 is free for 2 hours of use per session. There's another one called
something like M/X, but if I remember right, it's not as good.

You could also use VNC....

How fast is your network connection? If it's less than 1.5MB both ways, I'd
not use it for any real work. Instead, the other option (below) is a better
choice.

Or, another option, instead of an x server, anyone ever tried to forward
SMB connections over ssh?

You could set up a tunnel -- do PPP over SSH....