 Off-Topic / Geek / 1392
Re: Which Linux?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:32:59 GMT

Jim Hughes <hughesj@one.net> wrote:
I just pieced together a new computer from parts at local flea markets
(PIII 500/100/128). I installed Win98/2 and am now considering switching
to/adding some type of Linux.

Good for you. :)

What distribution of Linux would you recommend?

Well, this of course can be a very religious debate. But here's my opinions:

I really like Red Hat -- that's my recommendation for where to start. Once
you feel more comfortable, you may want to try out Debian. You may also want
to look at Mandrake, which is sort of a Red Hat +.

I've never been too pleased with SuSE or Caldera, but I know people who like
both of them.

Stampede is pretty cool, and the people making it are too, but last I
looked, they still used BSD-style init scripts. (Ugh.) Slackware gets points
off for that, and for not having a decent package manager.

Is it possible to have both Win98 and linux on the same machine?
Can I do this w/o reinstalling Win98?

Yes, and yes. And the install program for most distros makes it fairly easy.
(Although for many of them, you'll want to make sure you have a free disk
partition (or even whole disk) before you begin.)