 Off-Topic / Geek / 1178
Re: accessing email away from computer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 05:29:44 GMT

Hi Julie,
you might see if you email provider is offering a web based option. At the
university, they set up a web based email access that all you have to do is
has internet access and use a browser to load the web site. You can set any
computer that has some sort of email client(Netscape mail, outlook
express,Eudora) on it  to access any email server provided you know the server
to point it towards( you would call your ISP to find this out). one thing you
might want to be sure to set the client to leave the mail on the server so when
you go back home you can still read all the mail you have received while away.
What client do you use right now to access your mail ? Does your ISP lock out
access to the email if you arent logging into thier modem pool? I know the
University has a firewall of some type that wont let me access our servers(
except the email) unless I am logged in thru our modem pool.
I hope this helps.
    John
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Julie Krenz writes:
I've seen sites  where you can join up and access your email from a different
computer. Is it a good/safe thing to do? I'm going away soon and I'd like to
keep up with my emails from my parents computer. Any advice is appreciated.
Here is one site I saw http://www.mailstart.com/

I'm no computer geek, so please keep your answers simple ;-)
Thanks,
Julie