 Off-Topic / Fun / 9599
Re: Supertramp (was: Be careful ....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:39:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  I'm a total Alan Parsons nut.

Cool!  We APP nuts are a rare breed!

If you want an album that really
  sticks with you, seek out the Alan Parsons Project album that isn't
  an APP album; it's called "Freudiana."  It's still my favorite,
  and it was the last AP/EW collaboration.

It is an *awesome* album!  I found out about it through a web site some years
ago and special ordered it.  What a weird deal that was.  Same band members,
same format, same sound, but *not* an "Alan Parsons Project".

   Yeah.  I heard the story somewhere about why it's not branded that
   way, but I forget--but if I go to Vienna, I will have to see it on
   stage.  ;)  I can never hear Leo Sayer the same 1970s way again.

   (Say, what is it with Parsons and the "once-famous singer factor?"
   I mean, starting with Arthur Brown, and continuing through Leo Sayer
   to David Pack and Christopher Cross...)

For me, Eric Woolfson *made* the project what it was.  Though I still buy the
new ones without him, they can't match the ones with him writing and singing.

But I must say, I wasn't too impressed with the soundtrack from his stage
version of "Gaudi"-- I liked the original a lot better.

   My copy has a strategically placed skip.  I'm going to test my
   Brasso out soon enough...

I don't come across many who even *know* who APP is much less are nuts about
them-- fun to know:-)

   Heh.  Now all I have to do is find a copy of the un-remastered
   "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" to hear what it sounded like
   before it went back under the knife in the late 1980s.

   best

   LFB