 Off-Topic / Fun / 9461
    Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians) —Pedro Silva
   (...) So technically they share exactly the same problem as Americans: the noun refers purely to geography, not the people. You are not alone!... :-) Pedro (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians) —Bruce Schlickbernd
   (...) I think they are the Ubangi and some other tribes, and no, I think you got the noun exactly opposite: America is the country, Americans are the people. Note the (s) after Central African - cut and pasted exactly as written ("Noun:" that (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians) —Lindsay Frederick Braun
     (...) Check this if you want to see who lives in the CAR and what languges they speak: (URL) best LFB n.b.: The term "tribes" is very pejorative. Sorry, it's a pet peeve. If you want to know why, I can elaborate over in .debate, complete with links. (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

         Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians) —Bruce Schlickbernd
     (...) Perhaps I'm confusing American Indian practices where I've always understood it to be okay to use the terms "tribe" or "tribal". Perhaps I'm relying too much on my Apache co-workers, who don't have a problem with "Indian" either, (beyond of (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: National nouns (was:Americans, North Americans, Americasians) —Pedro Silva
   (...) Noted. I made some confusion when translating this into my own native language, then back; what I meant wasn't exactly what I wrote, and I only realize that now. Sorry 'bout it. :-( Clarification: I meant to express the similaritude in the (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)