 Off-Topic / Fun / 8722 (-10)
  Re: 3 Words For Christmas

(...) answers! (...) more dessert, please more eggnog, please fortifying said eggnog five pounds gained prepare to diet! prepare to shop! after Christmas sales visits to in-laws off to Grandma's continuing family rituals waiting for Santa finally (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR # 1 on IMDB, Beowulf on NYTimes bestseller list

(...) I wrote: "Most of the stuff passing as a plot is little more than rehashed Norse mythology." Is it the case that you want me to compare and contrast Tolkien's work to Northern European mythology? Seems like a rather thankless task. I am also (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  An Interesting Idea Involving Video Game Console Memory Card Labels

This might seem like a strange area to post this message, but this was the only Off-Topic area that seemed appropriate. In any case, I have an idea and was looking for opinions as to whether or not it would be successful. When one buys memory cards (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR # 1 on IMDB

(...) Ah, I have almost no idea what kind of press it got -- I rented it on video some several months later on a whim and was happily surprised. It's funny how things like that can work for and against a film. I had no expectations, and therefore (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR # 1 on IMDB, Beowulf on NYTimes bestseller list

(...) I wonder if you're referring to the recent Seamus Heaney translation, the one that features a chainmail hood in embossed silver on a black hardcover. I haven't read much of that version, but it's stirred up a little controversy among the (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR # 1 on IMDB

(...) "Heathers" springs to mind, as does "Doom Generation," and even "A Clockwork Orange," to a certain point (though admittedly in a different direction. Even the awful film "Strange Days" addresses the blurring and isolation of the individual. (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: We're all Anoraks on this bus (was Sadness

(...) Ya know, that describes most people's hobbies to most poeple that don't share them. For example, I find that an excellent descriptor of sports fans. Ugh, I can't imagine a more dreary way to spend a Sunday afternoon than watching football, (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR # 1 on IMDB, Beowulf on NYTimes bestseller list

(...) Your remark 'rehash of Northern European mythology', could you elaborate? (...) Tolkien was Professor of Anglo-Saxon (and other languages.) Maybe I am overstating this, but I just looked in the new Beowulf that was on the NY Times bestseller (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR # 1 on IMDB

(...) I just think it has great style -- way more style than most films. In a way the story is almost incidental to the main agenda of presenting a series of blacker than black comments and political criticisms about the modern world, and often (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: LoTR # 1 on IMDB

(...) Eh? I am not sure what this means... (...) I don't know anything about Tolkien -- was he a university professor? In what way did he put Beowulf on the map? I am not sure that people have really ever forgotten their myths and folklore, although (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact