 Off-Topic / Fun / 8608
Re: Military Question: Tanks and Motorcycles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.build.military
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:56:00 GMT

I don't know anything about how German motorcycles actually were used in
WWII, but from my own limited military experience doing my national service
in the Norwegian army, I can imagine how they might have been used.

Often see them with a sidecar equiped with a machine gun. They could easily
have been used in the highly mobile light strike role, rather like light
cavalry of old. Motorbikes and sidecars might also be able to penetrate into
bumpy, small forest/mountain paths that other vehicles could not really
operate in. I know the Norwegian army uses 2-man 4 or 6 wheeler buggies (and
skimobiles in the winter) for reconisance, and transporting small groups of
commando type soldiers armed with surprisingly heavy weapons (guided anti
tank missiles, 50 cal. sniper rifles).

I think the most likely use for the motorbikes would be short range
reconisance, and perhaps front line transport of officers. I'm not quite
sure why they have been showed a lot together with tanks, especially in
actual combat.

Magnus