 Off-Topic / Fun / 8603
Re: Military Question: Tanks and Motorcycles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:45:54 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:

I know almost nothing about the manner and techniques of outfitting an army,
and I find that I have no idea where to look for the information except some
google searches that didn't yield much of interest.  What I want to know is
the whys and wherefores of tanks and motorcycles (esp. circa WWII?).  I have
images in my head from movies that seem to always pair tanks and motorcycles
together -- but why is that an obvious pairing?  Is there a strategy behind
this pairing?

   What's usually the context of the appearance?  Usually, IIRC,
   motorcycles were used by couriers--so they should only appear
   with armor when the army is on the move, and the entire mechanized
   force is in transit.  Motorcycles would also be used when no other
   vehicles were available for infantry, or transfer, or so forth.
   Do you have specific cases in mind?

   Also, motorcycles are the symbols of rugged individualism--which
   often fit in with the older, heroic war movies.  They're convenient
   for individual action.  I'm not aware of the actual incidence of
   motorcycles in combat, though.  I'd think they would be singularly
   poor vehicles for anything but pacification duties.  The infamous
   German machinegun sidecar really fell into that category, I'd bet.

I suspect you're right, though early in the war they may have been used
for real transport. I recall pictures of the forces moving into Poland
with rows of motorcycles.

The motorcycle with sidecar and machinegun would make a nice vehicle to
patrol behind the lines.

   Just generic ramblings, really--but if you want to move particular
   individuals or physical data in wartime between mobile military units,
   couriers on motorcycles are the best thing to use.

Armored cars get used for this alot also.

As I've understood it, armored cars and motorcycles etc. replaced the
light cavalry of old (in fact, many historic "cavalry" divisions became
modernised in this way, and continued to be called cavalry). A bit of
web research suggests early WW II mechanised units did include large
groups of motorcycles. Here's a page with some information on French
units in 1940:

http://france1940.free.fr/armee/dlc.html

Later in the war, I suspect motorcycle use was mostly for courier duty,
and I seriously doubt they were paired with tanks as the movies depict.
Of course the motorcycle is an extremely romanticised vehicle so it's
obvious the movies would place more focus on them than reality.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com