 Off-Topic / Fun / 8582
  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

(...) Asimov's magazine (arrived yesterday) carries an article contrasting polar opposites Tolkien and ... Mervyn Peake (_Gormenghast_). Somehow I have managed to delay learning more than how to spell that, and this columnist considers him the (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

(...) Hmm.. Another great point. Maybe I should reduce the "absoluteness" of my earlier comment, and say simply that many post-Tolkien writers are very heavily influenced by him. How's that for non-commital?! 8^) (...) Feh! Time and space are surely (...) (23 years ago, 7-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

a somewhat fuller review: Thomas M. Disch: _The Dreams Our Stuff Is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World_ I didn't realize how sardonic his book was until I had paid for it. In the first chapter, The Right To Lie, Disch explores how (...) (23 years ago, 10-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)