 Off-Topic / Fun / 8527
  Re: ?Question for LFB?

(Objection re: placement of this noted, but I prefer to keep it semi-public, if only for my performative ego.) (...) My impression is that it's a good read, though deeply flawed. He tells a good story, but he shows the stamp of postivist (...) (23 years ago, 29-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: ?Question for LFB?

(...) I've got a History of Science (and Technology) in America reading list, and he's not on it. (: Could be that Eurocentric paradigm along with his subject, "Technological Change and Industrial Development in Western Europe from 1750 to the (...) (23 years ago, 29-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: ?Question for LFB?

(...) That's understandible, although technically "in America" refers to the specific cases, not the mindset--in terms of cultural ecumenes, we're firmly a European nation (albeit with more deeply- rooted creole elements). (...) I'd bet the subject (...) (23 years ago, 29-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: ?Question for LFB?

(...) I was just playing around. Reingold is secure in Must Be Included status, and I've got enough US literature to read. And I'm supposed to be reviewing engineering, not history. Still: (URL) I see, is on the Joseph Henry Project. That explains (...) (23 years ago, 30-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)