 Off-Topic / Fun / 8528
Re: ?Question for LFB?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:55:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
David
  Landes's venerable _The Unbound Prometheus_ (from which I'm
  *convinced* Maclachlan took his title's inspiration)--he's
  still operating in that same dated and Eurocentric paradigm,
  but it's a grand old book that still appears on every History
  of Technology reading list I've ever seen. ...

I've got a History of Science (and Technology) in America reading list, and
he's not on it. (:

Could be that Eurocentric paradigm along with his subject,
"Technological Change and Industrial Development in Western Europe from 1750
to the present."

Landes does get one footnote in Reingold, Science: American Style. It's at
Landes' expense for having muddied an issue (how to get historiographic
evidence for theoreticians/anonymous practitioners/well-known practitioners
driving technological change.) Now you can deliberate Reingold's place on
reading lists...

-Erik
who started out tonight re-reading engineering texts and wound up...  here.