 Off-Topic / Fun / 8490
8489  |  8491
Subject:
Fellowship of the Ring (the book, not the film...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:03:25 GMT

One or two of us may have heard that there's a small flick slated for
December release based on a little-known book by J.R.R.R.R.R.R.R. something
or other.  Well, I realized that I hadn't read the book in about 15 years,
and I wanted to brush up on my Frodos and Elronds etc. I'm now about 240
pages into it, and I'm surprised to notice how little has actually happened!
I mean, I love it, and the writing is tremendously enjoyable, but here's a
brief synopsis so far:

1. Bilbo leaves
2. Gandalf visits
2. 18 years pass
3. Gandalf visits
4. Frodo leaves with his pals
5. They walk some
6. They sleep some
7. They walk some
8. They not-so-narrowly avoid a Black Rider
9. They walk some
10. They sleep some and are attacked by a tree
11. They meet Tom Bombadil
12. They sleep some
13. They walk some
14. They sleep some
15. They walk some
16. They sleep some
17. They talk too much at The Prancing Pony
18. They meet Strider
19. They sleep some
20. They walk some
21. They sleep some
22. They walk some
23. They sleep some
24. They get to Weathertop
25. They see some Black Riders in the distance
26. They sleep some
27. They walk some
28. They sleep some
29. They walk some
30. They sleep some

And now I'm on page 240.  I'm not complaining, since I honestly enjoy it
(and I'm certainly looking forward to the film), but I can't get over how
little really goes on.

     Dave!