 Off-Topic / Fun / 8365
Re: Lugnet can always grow; it's up to us to make it happen.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 18:53:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Low writes:
In lugnet.general, Maggie Cambron writes:
   I rarely can respond to things at such length
  anymore, but it really warranted a kudos.  (Yea, kudos is
  singular, blame the Greeks.)

Okay, Lindsay, I made a special trip from the second floor down to the
basement to check my OED compact edition on this. Are you sure the word takes
an indefinite article?  None of the examples gave any indication that it
does.

I'm pretty sure that it's an abstract noun (so by itself "kudos" should be
article free). But was it okay for Lindsay to break that rule to make his
point clearer?

Heck, I wasn't even sure if he HAD broken a rule.  The dictionary also said it
was a colloquialism, particularly in academia, and since my copy is an edition
last updated in 1974, I figured if anyone was up on the latest on the evolution
of the word it would be Lindsay.

I am not convinced, however, that omission of the article would have made his
point any less clear.

Maggie (who actually agrees with those who say meaning should take precedence
over grammar-- it's just that meaning is often obscured by the use of
unconventional grammar)

Maggie C. (Queen of living on less-- I got the OED-- the two volume
slip-cased edition with the magnifier in a little drawer-- for 2 bucks from a
garage sale!)

!!!!
...we are not worthy...

: D