 Off-Topic / Fun / 8366
Re: Lugnet can always grow; it's up to us to make it happen.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 19:17:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.general, Maggie Cambron writes:

Personally, I don't have a means to pay for a membership.

also think that $10 is not an unreasonable amount to ask for a *lifetime*

  I've gotta ask--college student without $10 to spend on a lifetime
  ...Most college students I know spend that in two hours at the bar;

Well, it *could* happen.  When I was in college a friend of mine knew a
fellow student who bought a large bag of lentils once a week and lived all
week on lentil soup.  Toward the end of the week when the lentils ran out she
went hungry, so my friend would invite her to dinner.

I had a room-mate in 1991 who would buy a big package of bacon every two weeks
on the day he got paid.  He'd fry up the bacon and eat it all day the next
day. For the remainder of his two-week pay cycle, he would reheat some of the
bacon grease and fry some flour.  Yummmy!  There's nothing like the complexion
that one develops from this diet to convince you that nutrition really does
matter. He lived like that for about three months before a windfall raise in
pay (like $.50 per hour!) allowed him to eat the occasional real food (like
ramen).

What a terrible way to live!  I hope those complaining about the $10 cost of a
Lugnet membership can appreciate this example of real suffering.  I mean,
imagine living for three months with the smell of rancid bacon grease
permeating all your belongings.  And knowing that every time you walked into
your kitchen you would be faced with crusty remnants of bacon grease and flour.
Gee Chris, no wonder you were driven to vegetarianism!  ;-)

Maggie