 Off-Topic / Fun / 6354
  Re: King, Queen & Jack

The thing is, Geoffrey, that the point is not proving a, b *or* c true or false; but rather answering the question (is there, or is there not, an ace). Which is why the wording *is* actually valid... Haven't ever seen this before, but I love solving (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: King, Queen & Jack

Thanks, Shiri - I think I got it right the first time. The statement I figured could possibly be true was most likely to have been correct, and after you posted, I think it is. -- Cheers ... Geoffrey Hyde Shiri Dori <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: King, Queen & Jack

(...) Geoffrey... I have to agree with Shiri's analysis. I independently arrived at the same conclusion she did. So either we're both confused (and in similar ways), or the problem *is* consistent and admits of a logical answer which is the one we (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: King, Queen & Jack

(...) In your 1st post, you seem to think that it is a matter of probability, when in fact, it's not, as Shiri pointed out (quite correctly). Let's examine closely. (Don't read if for some reason you're still figuring it out) (...) Alright. There (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: King, Queen & Jack

(...) She was correct - as are you. Apparently, our minds are unless in dealing with false information. If a fact is proven true - it is put in our "RAM". The problem is we don't have much RAM, so there is no space for the false data. 95% of (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: King, Queen & Jack

(...) Hmm... By my read, you probably meant to say in each statement that those were the ONLY things on the table? Otherwise I find that only the last test has two conflicting statements. DaveE (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: King, Queen & Jack

(...) That is the point - you have to decide if there is a conflict within each test. As you point out, 4 is not true. (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)