 Off-Topic / Fun / 6220
Re: Al Gore I am!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:00:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
FUT added:  lugnet.off-topic.fun

When are we going to finish the counting, the court battles, etc. for the
new presidential candidate, whoever he may be, and when will all this poetic
nonsense stop??

I just find it funny, hope you do too!

   Poll (another of those darn things) recently:

   55% are anxious about the whole thing
   21% are 'frightened and worried' (how that's different, who knows)
   36% are 'amused'

   I think this means we need to lighten up.  And before anyone
   makes the obvious 'can't you 'Muricans count?' joke, people
   were allowed to choose more than one (which still doesn't
   explain why 100% aren't amused, and what the difference is between
   the first two).

This election will be over when the Final Recount is held.

   Wait!  The final recount?  The only recount!  No, wait, it's not
   a recount.  It's just a count.  Or is it?  Oh my.  David Letterman
   counted 16 iterations of 'vote' and 13 of 'count' in Gore's speech
   last night.  Wow.

The Final Recount will consist of counting the votes of seven old men and
two old ladies. They live in various precincts in Alexandria, Georgetown,
Reston, and the like, but their vote will be held in a big marble and
limestone building in downtown Washington DC. Like many other polling places
in our great country, it's a courthouse.

   I'd bet dollars to donuts (which is saying something if you take
   into account how I feel about donuts, especially being in Europe
   where a good donut is only a vague rumour) that there's nary a
   voting booth ever propped on the floor of the Supreme Court.

   I am, however, quite pleased that TIME and Newsweek both have
   taken to calling them the Supremes...but please, don't let Scalia
   sing.  Even dancing is pushing it.

However, since these Nine will be wearing goofy looking black robes (but not
white wigs like you lot wear) when they vote, it's not clear whether their
votes will reflect the will of the people any more accurately than the
little old ladies and men wearing leisure suits and gold lame shoes
(partitioning left as reader exercise) in Palm Beach County did.

At least we will get to read their reasons for voting the way they did. That
should be more entertaining than any exit poll.

   Not necessarily.  I'll bet this one won't be nearly as much fun
   as the NC-17 Starr Report.  Although I did enjoy the section from
   the Florida decision that excoriated the Secretary of State, a
   nice vitriol storm is always fun to see.

This election will be over when the Final Recount is held.

I think.

   I need a copy of that great 'Electile Dysfunction' cartoon that
   appeared somewhere last week--a naked Uncle Sam (save hat), holding
   a map of Florida obscuring his naughty bits...with the peninsula in
   the, um, 'proper' (down--or is that 'improper' given the context?)
   orientation.

Also, is this going to become a regular feature every time
a president is elected???

Oooh... I hope so! Gridlock is GOOD.

   Hey, we're paying for 'em, better make 'em work!  I'm most interested
   in seeing if anyone remembers this enough in four years to make that
   teeny eeny weeny tiny little effort required to actually go and VOTE
   or get an absentee ballot delivered.  I also have to wonder what
   Nader is thinking right now, and what's being thought about him.
   He's been awfully quiet since the election.

   But man, if anyone in this whole mess has a right to feel like they
   made a difference, it's gotta be him.

   best

   LFB

   FUT->you know where