 Off-Topic / Fun / 5677
  Double the Fun

(...) It's the preview mode and my habit of trying to follow the recommendation and hit back on the browser. Now that there are 2 screens to back through it's about 4 times easier to forget that you already posted.. you can screw up by pressing the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Double the Fun

(...) One thing the preview screens makes possible now is putting a special single- use code into the form -- something that could be a hidden field so that if the button was clicked twice from that page, the second time it was received, it could (...) (24 years ago, 31-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Double the Fun

(...) That would certainly be nifty. How about an "edit" button on the preview page? Internet Explorer is so worried about people hitting "back" and stealing passwords etc. that it discards all the modified text when you hit the back button (or is (...) (24 years ago, 31-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Double the Fun

(...) That sounds really really slick. But why bother? Isn't it way easier to just give us two buttons than put a bunch of special purpose code in place for that use? Don't outthink yourself, and don't try to make things foolproof, fools are too (...) (24 years ago, 1-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  posting preview (was: Re: Double the Fun)

(...) How about an automatic edit box below the preview, with a pair of buttons on the left (preview and post) and a cancel button on the right (just like the FTX page editing thingie but with different button labels)? That way you could just (...) (24 years ago, 1-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Double the Fun

(...) Having two buttons (rather than just one) wouldn't solve the problem that it would solve -- i.e., the problem of accidental double-posting. Only way AFAIK to solve that is to embed a unique code into the posting form or to compare new incoming (...) (24 years ago, 1-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Double posting.

(...) that (...) True. that's the only way to SOLVE it. But double posting is due to human error. This human errs because there are more steps than necessary. I claim I'd make less mistakes if the path from post initiation to return to my original (...) (24 years ago, 1-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Double the Fun

(...) That sounds like a good idea. Is there a reason such a code can't be placed on the posting form? The same code could be carried from the posting form to the preview form. That way, I won't write a post, hit Preview, check my ramblings, *post* (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)