 Off-Topic / Fun / 541
Re: Piece sorting methods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 01:58:25 GMT

"Jeremy H. Sproat" wrote:
Visual Basic will solve
all your scripting and application woes. (1)

I just thought I'd mention that VB is my personal bogeyman of the
moment.  I very much prefer a scripting language that has meat to it,
such as Perl.

Having said that, I just read something that chilled my blood.
Evidently, PC Magazine named Perl 5.005 as a finalist for their
Technical Excellence Award for Development Tools (the other two being
Microsoft products -- surprise surprise (2)).  In a talkback article,
some MS cheerleader posted this:

"For processing text data [sic] and extracting meaningful information
from it - PERL 5.05 [sic] RULES without question - if only we had a
compiler and a GUI interface for it so we could write Windows-based apps
in it the world would be a better place. [sic]" (3)

Okay, I can see the want though I can't really see that big of a
benefit.  Then...

"Come on Microsoft - 'Visual Perl 5' lets see it happen. [sic]  Or,
maybe 'Visual P++'?" (3)

Can Microsoft really screw up Perl the way it screwed up Java?  Wow, it
still gives me the willies.  I guess it would have been appropriate if
this were posted in time for Halloween...  Creepy, neh?

Cheers,
- Sproat

1. Still bait.
2. PC Magazine is published by Ziff-Davis, which is owned by Softbank
Comdex, which is largely owned by Microsoft.  Answers a *lot* of nagging
questions...
3. Source: http://www.zdnet.com/talkback/221_20208_85241.html

--
Jeremy H. Sproat - jsproat@geocities.com

This .sig is a fractal.  Zoom here --> ()