 Off-Topic / Fun / 4863
Re: (Movie) Mission to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:44:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Adam Hoekwater writes:
In lugnet.space, Todd Lehman writes:
That reminds me... :)  A few years back, there was this really cheesy (IMHO)
sci-fi movie called _Time Runner_ -- starred Mark Hamill and Rae Dawn Chong.

Didn't catch it in the theatre, but the viddy box had this to say:

  "A cut above most time travel cyborg thrillers."

I knew I had to rent it when I couldn't stop laughing as I imagined a
section in some video rental store labeled "Time Travel Cyborg Thrillers."
Boy, what a big genre that is!

--Todd

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Matthew Wilkins writes:
That would be a *huge* category, wouldn't it? Let's see; the 'Terminator'
movies, FreeJack... umm... Okay, I'm dry. Anyone else?

-Cheese

Well, The Matrix has people wired for computer interface travelling from a
percieved past to an actual present, does that count?

-Adam

I would say that no, The Matrix doesn't fit the description of a Time Travel
Cyborg Thriller. The 'time-travel' and 'cyborg' aspects of the movie are more
plot devices, rather than plot points (The Matrix could have been in a 'false-
future' the Machines plot out for the CopperTops, the CopperTops could have
been grown in sensor-and-pickup lined vats...) Whereas with movies like
'FreeJack' and The Terminator series, both time travel and cyborgs are central
to the plot (in FreeJack, the villian is an AI in a cyborg body who brings
Emilio Estevez alive from the past for his body, and if I have to outline The
Terminator, I'll pull this newsgroup over to the side of the road, and nobody
will be happy about that.)

-Cheese (picture the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.)