 Off-Topic / Fun / 4830
Re: Part number wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:23:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Lorbaat wrote:

It's an almost direct quote from a Cracker song (or was it a Camper Van
Beethoven song?), except swap in "rock" for "filk".

I thought it was actually "folk" rather than "rock" but I could be
wrong.

You know, when I was writing this, I thought it was "folk".  Always go with
your first instinct.

If you aren't sure what filking is... well, never having done it myself, I
can
only sum it up as an activity engaged in by folks, mostly at conventions (of
the sci-fi, fantasy, or gaming kind) wherein they do their best to re-create
singing in the meadhalls and around the campfires of yore, and succeed
totally
in being just as terribly, terribly annoying as most people of all ages have
found people who insist on disturbing perfectly servicable peace and quiet
with
badly written songs badly sung.

Well, that's kind of harsh. :-)

Really?  I thought it was a fair assessment.  Maybe it doesn't quite capture
the horror well enough.

I've never been to a con where I was *forced* to listen to filking, and
I've found what little filking I heard to be amusing, mostly in the way
that any campy thing is amusing. If the cons you're going to are not
well segregating the filking away from those that don't want to hear it,
that's too bad.

Well, I've mostly only been "forced" to listen to it at cons in passing on my
way to other events.  On the other hand, whena friend of a friend decides to
practice, or gets inspired and decides to go at it right there... and other
people join in... <shudder>

But the general description is accurate, I guess. :-)

I do try. ;D

eric