 Off-Topic / Fun / 4829
Re: Part number wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:03:50 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

It's an almost direct quote from a Cracker song (or was it a Camper Van
Beethoven song?), except swap in "rock" for "filk".

I thought it was actually "folk" rather than "rock" but I could be
wrong.

If you aren't sure what filking is... well, never having done it myself, I can
only sum it up as an activity engaged in by folks, mostly at conventions (of
the sci-fi, fantasy, or gaming kind) wherein they do their best to re-create
singing in the meadhalls and around the campfires of yore, and succeed totally
in being just as terribly, terribly annoying as most people of all ages have
found people who insist on disturbing perfectly servicable peace and quiet with
badly written songs badly sung.

Well, that's kind of harsh. :-)

I've never been to a con where I was *forced* to listen to filking, and
I've found what little filking I heard to be amusing, mostly in the way
that any campy thing is amusing. If the cons you're going to are not
well segregating the filking away from those that don't want to hear it,
that's too bad.

But the general description is accurate, I guess. :-)

eric

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!