 Off-Topic / Fun / 3719
Re: This dropped out of the papers this weekend...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 21:33:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz wrote:

Recently, we had to instruct my sister's husband on how to open
presents. His family would hand out one present at a time, not one to
each person at a time, ONE at a time. Everyone would wait while the
person carefully opened their present, before the next present was
handed out. Had we operated that way in our family, we wouldn't have
finished by nightfall (or morning if that was how we operated Christmas
Eve with Grammy, her 4 daughters and 4 husbands, 16 grandchildren,
various SOs, and before the tradition faded, at least 5 or 6 great
grandchildren).

Your extended family Christmases sound very much like mine, as far as who gives
presents to whom, and who gets together, and all.

When I was a kid, my dad's side of the family (from my grandparents on down)
would get together on the Sunday before Christmas.  And my mom's side of the
family would get together the Sunday after Christmas.  It helped that my Mom's
little brother married my Dad's little sister, so the larger part of the family
had a vested interested in preventing time conflicts between the two
get-togethers.

Anyway, my paternal grandparents had 4 kids, who had 4 spouses, and each had
(roughly) 3 kids, so we had a fairly large group.  We very carefully passed out
*two* presents at a time, which were opened simultaneously.  I usually made sure
I got to "play Santa", so I'd have something to do, instead of gnawing my
knuckles waiting for my two presents (one from a cousin, one from Grandpa and
Grandma).

Steve