 Off-Topic / Fun / 3303
Re: Star Wars is both sci-fi and fantasy (was: Re: Science fiction)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:39:09 GMT

Massive snipage!

2.  Sidenote -- some of what is categorized as horror really is science
fiction as well.  A *good* example is The Stand by Stephen King.  It has all
the good stuff: Man vs. Everything.  :-,

Very true.  However, even in The Dark Tower (the Gunslinger)(whatever you want
to call that series!), it is the same thing with King.  He is quite a good
writer (IMHO).  I've been reading a fair amount of SF recently (the last 2
years or so).  Really got turned on to it from Tom Clancy, who said to read
"Footfall" (Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle).  I went from there to reading the
Mercenary series by Jerry Pournelle, and since then, have been devowering
books by SM Stirling and David Drake.

My thoughts are that SF is quite a well written (at least some authors!) area
of lit.  Some of the time, the thoughts that are expressed are quite
interesting in a global sense.  For instance, I have since learned much more
about where Jerry Pournelle got the idea for Santiago (that Ace Barton fought
in-described in Prince Of Mercenaries).  In fact, there is a song written about
it..."Theres a vally in Spain called Jarama, thats a place we all know well,
For 'tis there we wasted our manhood, and most of our old age as well."

To me, those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it...and SF seems to
be a good way to get history across without it being boring and dry.

Mind you, I am a reader.  Right now, my wife has the idiot box on, and I cannot
stand the dammed thing.  Give me a book any day!

James Powell