 Off-Topic / Fun / 3291
Re: Weather Balloons and Violence!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:43:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Lovelace writes:
<snip>
Branching from this thought comes a really old question I have always had.
I thought I heard somewhere that when OKK said "Play Well" he didn't ever
want it to mean "Play With Tanks and Bazookas."  Is it true that Lego has
a "thing" about war toys?

Spaceships have laser-cannons and rocket-launchers, and can gleefully shoot at
each other all day...so, is violence allowed only in fictional timeframes?
Killy-kill can happen in the future and past (Western guns, Pirate swords,
Medieval halberds, etc.)...but never, ever the present?

All I know is that during the MindFest event, a couple of the TLG
representatives were checking out my robotic LEGO cannon.  They said "of
course, _we_ could never sell a set like this."  I was pretty sure that they
were referring to the weaponry aspect, although they might just have been
concerned about getting sued after kids started shooting each others' eyes out
with 2x4 bricks.  (But then again, they _did_ post a picture of it on the
official Mindstorms web site.)

I bet if I just called it a "remote brick delivery system" instead of a
"cannon" then everything would have been cool.  ("Hey, send me over another
brick, willya?" ... <BLAM!> ... "Ouch!")

If only I would use my robot-building skills for goodness instead of badness...