 Off-Topic / Fun / 3286
3285  |  3287
Subject:
Weather Balloons and Violence!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:38:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Frank Filz writes:

Those "weather" balloon sightings probably are classified. My father
worked for the DOD as a space physicist and he flew several
instrumentation balloons.

I believe that the
military and the intelligence organizations also fly baloons for various
intelligence reasons (and who knows, my father's balloon packages may
have even had a camera or two or some other spy gear attached).

You're spoiling the UFO delirium!  :-)

This kind of thing is really interesting, and makes me wonder about a Spy Vs.
Spy Lego sub-theme! This will probably never happen, since it would inevitably
spawn Military Sets...

Branching from this thought comes a really old question I have always had.  I
thought I heard somewhere that when OKK said "Play Well" he didn't ever want it
to mean "Play With Tanks and Bazookas."  Is it true that Lego has a "thing"
about war toys?

Spaceships have laser-cannons and rocket-launchers, and can gleefully shoot at
each other all day...so, is violence allowed only in fictional timeframes?
Killy-kill can happen in the future and past (Western guns, Pirate swords,
Medieval halberds, etc.)...but never, ever the present?

Dave

(Afterthought:  I mentioned the potentially amazing MIR set for Spaceport,
which is feasable since they've put out a few Space Shuttles.  This set would
be considered a stepping-stone for a Military theme, unless they sugarcoat the
politics by making all the mini-figures similar-looking Spaceport spacemen.
However, MIR is so huge and modular in design, it's a shoo-in for its very own
SUB-sub-class, but now I'm on too many topics!)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx