 Off-Topic / Fun / 2686
Re: Gasoline prices (was: Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 05:30:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, "Tom Stangl, VFAQman" <talonts@vfaq.com> writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
I'm amazed by how much the price of gasoline in the U.S. has fallen in the
past two decades.

As far as I can remember, it's remained roughly steady at around ~US$.95 to
~US$1.40 per gallon since at least 1985, which was about when I started
paying attention.  The highest price I ever actually remember seeing once
was $1.449 per gallon in 1985 or 1986.

Given the roughly steady price relative to the CPI, the price has actually
dropped over time -- just like LEGO has.  Absolutely amazing!

Uh, Todd?  Where ARE you getting your figures?

Anywhere, everywhere -- prices are different depending on where you are, but
on the whole, the prices of gas have gone up less than everything else has
-- just like LEGO.  So the prices of gas and LEGO have actually gone *down*
considerably in the past 20 years.

My figures come from memory, from:

1985-1996 -> Minnesota & Wisconsin
1996-1999 -> Massachusetts

The cheapest gas I've ever seen since 1985 was US$.79 per gallon in May of
1986 in (I forget if it was Tennessee or Georgia).  The most expensive gas
I've ever seen was US$2.09 per gallon in August of 1991 at one particular
station along PCH in California. (It was high $1.80's and $1.90's that year
along the rest of PCH.)

To the best of my knowlege, even the most premium gasoline octane has never
been more than US$1.50 a gallon in MN or WI or MA since 1985.  I wouldn't be
surprised if it was at some higher point during the 70's oil crisis though.

Premium (and damn near 87
for a while!) is $1.85 down the street from me at the CHEAPEST gas station
in my area.  In SF, it tops $2/gal.

WOW.  That's actually priced reasonably.  (Still a bit cheap, IMHO, but not
dirt cheap like it is some places.)

Around here, regular unleaded averages about $1.20(?) right now and premium
unleaded averages about $1.40 or $1.45(?).  It just took a big hike about a
month ago, IIRC.

If that $1.40/gal means 87 octane, you're getting closer, but not THAT
close.  Sillycon Valley 87 is $1.60s-1.80s.  And it's supposed to go UP
(though inexplicably it dropped $.05/gal last week).

That's incredible!  (That there's such a difference depending on where you
live, even in the U.S.)  Why is it so expensive in California?  (I know, I
know, everything's expensive in California.  :-)  But it's so much closer to
the Alaskan pipeline.  Where does most of our oil come from these days?

--Todd