 Off-Topic / Fun / 2690
Re: Gasoline prices (was: Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:31:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Todd Lehman writes:
<snipped>
That's incredible!  (That there's such a difference depending on where you
live, even in the U.S.)  Why is it so expensive in California?  (I know, I
know, everything's expensive in California.  :-)  But it's so much closer to
the Alaskan pipeline.  Where does most of our oil come from these days?

It's what the market will bear, and what the cartel enforces. You'd think that
it would be cheaper closer to the pipe. So given the fact that it seems to be
cheaper away from California it sounds like we're paying for Florida's oil.
:-) I hope that's not the case, but it's also true that gas stations in
California cost a lot of money to put in and maintain due to strict envirolaws.

But even 30 miles away from SF along I-580 there was a Shell station charging
over $2 for premium.

Plus it's been rumored for years that at least one oil company has been
friendly with the Governor's office. We've got drillsites off the coast.

-Tom McD.
when replying, spamcake: it's what's for dinner.