 Off-Topic / Fun / 2600
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:38:42 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> writes:

* It takes a 1/2 majority in the U.S. House of Representatives to impeach a
  President.  The reverse:  All it takes is a 1/2 majority to prevent
  impeachment.

* It takes a 2/3 majority in the U.S. Senate to remove the President.  The
  reverse:  All it takes is a 1/3 minority to prevent removal from office.

Note that there are also two separate voting sessions by two completely
different groups of people to get the Prez thrown out. That's quite a safety
net, as we saw with the current Prez. Why was the greater ratio needed in the
Senate and not the House?

It doesn't really have anything to do with which body, it just has to do
with the ordering.  It's a two-step thing.  A 1/2 majority is required in
order to do a CFV (call for votes), then a 2/3 majority is required to pass
the measure.  As I understand it, the founding fathers wanted it to be hard
to throw a sitting president out of office -- a 2/3 majority -- but they
wanted it to be easier than that to at least start the ball rolling -- a 1/2
majority to impeach.

* It takes a 3/4 majority of U.S. States to throw out the U.S.
  Constitution.  The reverse:  All it takes is a 1/4 minority to prevent
  the Constitution from being thrown out.

Apparently it's got to be a real stinker of a law to get tossed. Or you just
have to know the right Judge.

No, I'm talking about throwing out the Constitution itself.  If 3/4 of the
States say that they want to throw out the Constitution and start a new
Constitution, then they can do that.  (Fortunately, we've never even come
remotely close to that happening!)

* It takes a 12/12 majority (unanimous) in a jury to convict someone.  The
  reverse:  It only takes a 1/12 minority to prevent conviction.

Which is interesting as, IMO, this seems to relate more to our current
situation, though we don't need unanimity, as a person's life is not on the
line here. But also in this example, it's only 12 peers here, not the size of
the newsgroup in question. It seems like in a larger body of people that
chances of unanimity decrease.

I don't think we could ever find 12 impartial jurors!  On the net, in
virtual communities, it's too easy to go back through the archives and learn
everything about something (mind pollution).  IIRC, jurors are supposed to
consider only the facts that come up during the trial.  Plus, jurors are
supposed to avoid interaction with others about the trial during the trial,
and that would be no fun for them, because it might mean they couldn't
participate in the groups during that time!  :)  So if we ever have any kind
of jury system of judgment here, it's going to have to be highly updated for
the new millenium.  :)

--Todd