 Off-Topic / Fun / 2599
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:14:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
To be perfectly candid, I'm still a tiny bit nervous about 2/3 (66.67%).  I
would have no worries, however, about 4/5 (80%).

I take it back.  I just had a short talk with my father about voting ratios,
and there's something important I was overlooking...

2/3 (66.67%) is a good number after all.  5/7 (71.4%) isn't bad either, but
2/3 is much simpler to express, and it has much precedent in governments.

Yes it does though, IMO, I think a slightly greater majority (just under 5%
more) is worth considering (and you probly already have so this section is
more or less a waste of bandwidth on my part). 2/3 is much simpler to express,
but I hafta admit I'd rather have a slightly wider majority than simpler math.

The good part about high numbers like 4/5 is that it's hard to do X.  It
takes at least four people in favor of X for every one person not in favor
of X, to make X happen.

Yeah, 4/5 sounds great when you agree with everyone in the numerator. When you
don't, it's a steep uphill battle every stinkin time.

Some numbers in practice:

*  It takes a 1/2 majority in the U.S. House of Representatives to impeach a
  President.  The reverse:  All it takes is a 1/2 majority to prevent
  impeachment.

*  It takes a 2/3 majority in the U.S. Senate to remove the President.  The
  reverse:  All it takes is a 1/3 minority to prevent removal from office.

Note that there are also two separate voting sessions by two completely
different groups of people to get the Prez thrown out. That's quite a safety
net, as we saw with the current Prez. Why was the greater ratio needed in the
Senate and not the House?

*  It takes a 3/4 majority of U.S. States to throw out the U.S.
  Constitution.  The reverse:  All it takes is a 1/4 minority to prevent
  the Constitution from being thrown out.

Apparently it's got to be a real stinker of a law to get tossed. Or you just
have to know the right Judge.

*  It takes a 12/12 majority (unanimous) in a jury to convict someone.  The
  reverse:  It only takes a 1/12 minority to prevent conviction.

Which is interesting as, IMO, this seems to relate more to our current
situation, though we don't need unanimity, as a person's life is not on the
line here. But also in this example, it's only 12 peers here, not the size of
the newsgroup in question. It seems like in a larger body of people that
chances of unanimity decrease.

-Tom McD.
when replying, visit the tour of the treasure and artifacts of King
Spamcakomen coming soon to a civic center near you!