 Administrative / General / 2504
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 01:03:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
[...]
If the community held a vote, and reached a consensus on what to do (via at
least a 2/3 majority), I would honor the community's decision to remove JW's
posting privileges (to whatever groups were decided upon), if it came down
to that.  The vote itself (at the discretion of the community) could of
course be further restricted to, say, a 3/4 or 4/5 majority (or higher),
thus making expulsion a bit more difficult.

I know you'd honor that. And I respect you for that as benevolent dictator of
Lugnetland. IMO 2/3 isn't quite enough and could still likely cause dissention
or splintering of a group, while 3/4 is definitely substantial, and achieving
4/5 might require some lobbying though not unjustifiably so. To be nitpicky,
how about 5/7? Such a percentage, 71.428571% (decimal repeats), is technically
achievable with 4 four people in a group but still leaves a bit more room
where larger groups are concerned.

To be perfectly candid, I'm still a tiny bit nervous about 2/3 (66.67%).  I
would have no worries, however, about 4/5 (80%).

I take it back.  I just had a short talk with my father about voting ratios,
and there's something important I was overlooking...

2/3 (66.67%) is a good number after all.  5/7 (71.4%) isn't bad either, but
2/3 is much simpler to express, and it has much precedent in governments.

The good part about high numbers like 4/5 is that it's hard to do X.  It
takes at least four people in favor of X for every one person not in favor
of X, to make X happen.  Sounds great, right?  But look at it from the other
way.  It takes only one person -not- in favor of X for every four people in
favor of X, -not- to make X happen.  In other words, with a 4/5 majority, a
simple *one-fifth* minority can stop something in its tracks.  That's too
unstable.

Some numbers in practice:

*  It takes a 1/2 majority in the U.S. House of Representatives to impeach a
   President.  The reverse:  All it takes is a 1/2 majority to prevent
   impeachment.

*  It takes a 2/3 majority in the U.S. Senate to remove the President.  The
   reverse:  All it takes is a 1/3 minority to prevent removal from office.

*  It takes a 3/4 majority of U.S. States to throw out the U.S.
   Constitution.  The reverse:  All it takes is a 1/4 minority to prevent
   the Constitution from being thrown out.

*  It takes a 12/12 majority (unanimous) in a jury to convict someone.  The
   reverse:  It only takes a 1/12 minority to prevent conviction.

--Todd