 Off-Topic / Fun / 1714
1713  |  1715
Subject:
ALF / AFOL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 18:47:30 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, piano254@aol.com (Jonathan) writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.starwars, piano254@aol.com (Jonathan) writes:
PS . . . Just to keep this lego related, what does "AFOL" mean?
I looked at it, and the best I could pull from it would be Avid
Fan Of Lego, but something tells me that this isn't right . . . .

Hey, that's a good one!  But people usually mean "Adult Fan/Fanatic
of LEGO" when they write it.  It's too bad that it looks so much like
"AOL" (not that there's anything wrong with AOL) and that the person
who coined it also noted that it looked like "A FOOL".  An alternative
to AFOL is ALF (Adult LEGO Fan/Fanatic) but that reminds people of a
certain sit-com that didn't sit well with many folks.

Well, I wasn't too far off . . . . :)   I can also see the problems with
the alternative (ALF), but what was wrong with the show? I kinda liked it.
I guess the fact that I was around 10 at the time helped, but . . . . :)

I don't know what's wrong with the show either.  Although I never watched it
enough to like or dislike it, what little I saw of it while channel surfing
kind of made me laugh, IIRC.  But I think the people who dislike[d] it
really dislike[d] it in a big way.  I remember a lot of people really
gagging when it got really popular and stores were selling Alf workout
posters and stuff like that.

BTW, I think the name of the TV show was also supposed to be an acronym --
for Alien Life Form or something like that?

--Todd

[crossposted to lugnet.off-topic.fun, with followups set there]