 Off-Topic / Fun / 1700
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 17:20:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Jeff Stembel wrote:
All laws are reasonable, even that one in New York(?) that says it is • illegal
to have an Ice Cream cone in you pocket.  ;)

Oh, that is *so* unfair to us ice cream enthusiasts.  This is cruel and
unusual nourishment, and has language *specifically* addressing it in the
Constitution.

LOL

I get around that law by carrying it in my shoe. But I guess I'm still breaking
the Constitution!

BTW, is it just the cone that's illegal or does it have to have ice cream in
it? Here in California if there was no ice cream in it, you might be able to
get off the hook by shifting the burden of proof to the prosecution to show
that the cone contained/was intended for ice cream at the time of hidden
possession. Otherwise, reasonable doubt (a term which still has yet to be
defined properly here in Ca.) could dictate that it is not truly an "ice cream
cone" but a "dessert cone", perhaps meant to hold M&M's(tm), or a "frozen
confection cone" used for sherbet or sorbet, all of which are clearly not ice
cream.

It is no longer, however, legal protection if you shatter a cone into small
pieces or dust to avoid detection and arrest. Forensic teams have gotten very
good at reconstructing cones based on their analyses of edible cone geometry,
as all major cone companies (including ol' Scoopy the Clown) have now
voluntarily complied with EICR-9002 standards, which have outlined global cone
manufacturing guidelines. Furthermore, those guidelines also state that all
cones must pass a precursory SCF-3 (smash-crush-flatten) test, which states
that xantham gum must be used to keep cones from separating into small pieces
upon impact, much like a car windshield.

-Tom McD.
when replying, have a double scoop of bs spamcake.