 Off-Topic / Debate / Search Results: all rights are property rights
 Results 161 – 180 of about 12000.
Search took 0.01 CPU seconds.

Messages:  Full | Brief | Compact

  Re: From Harry Browne

Hi Maggie, This is debate, so that's what we'll do. "Maggie Cambron" <mcambron@pacbell.net> wrote in message... (...) I'm (...) clarification. I disagree. I don't believe anyone's viewpoint will be swayed if we all keep our opinions to ourselves. I (...) (24 years ago, 11-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.066)

  Re: Freedoms in Libertopia? (was Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne)

(...) Of course such a device does exist, though I'm not sure how accurate it is. (...) So would I. (...) With privitized roads, I don't see any problem with the owner putting any sort of restrictions, including deciding someone looks like a drunk (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.065)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I'd agree... Assuming of course that the person is of sound mind, and that the rights of others are not being violated in doing so. Clear cut example, I don't have the right to fill up a truck with explosives and then drive to your house and (...) (24 years ago, 11-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.065)

  Re: LP POINT 2

(...) Quick answer, for closure. Under a property rights analysis, there is no right to sustenance, per se. There is a right to offer to trade for or pay for or ask for charitiable sustenance but no requirement that anyone in particular actually (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.065)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Your term may indeed be accurate, but I think that it does not do full justice to the inherent and latent qualities of the tissue structure. When confronting the abortion issue from either angle, the issue of potential *cannot* be avoided. My (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.064)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) There are some interesting things to explore here. I agree that a "viability" test is certainly part of the rights based calculus which should be used to evaluate these things. One way to examine the issue is that the unborn baby only has the (...) (24 years ago, 13-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.064)

  Re: Parental strategies? (was: Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne)

(...) they (...) me, so (...) Well, how about it? I know that that takes place. But what is behind that? What do they know will happen when they are "displeased with me?" And I think it is distinctly unhealthy for kids to grow up in an environment (...) (24 years ago, 13-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.063)

  Re: Parental strategies? (was: Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne)

(...) Yes, a parent's love should be unconditional for their children. Even so, I'm not sure one can really turn love on and off for their kids. (...) I tested my theory with my own kids last night. They actually gave me that answer. Maybe I have (...) (24 years ago, 14-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.062)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) Marx said so. (...) It could be argued I exploietd the system could it not - that is your normal perspective. (...) Education is exploitation – what a novel way to reduce your tax bill. (...) Why not prosecute all involved? (...) I must be a (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.058)

  Re: LP POINT 1

The usual massive and capricious snippage. (...) I'm not sure I'd agree that the degree of change (since the enlightenment, or more specifically, in the last 20 years) is that small. Certainly it's not as large as I'd wish it but it's a lot more (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.057)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) I have now corrected my spelling. (...) Yes. Naturally, just because it can be copyrighted does not make it right to do so. I think inventions and formulations can be copyrighted/patented to protect “investment” of time / money – otherwise (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.057)

  Re: Is space property?

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ... (...) believe, (...) seem (...) As an atheist, here is my take on human rights: Rights are, as far as I can tell, a human social construct, a "base-level" set of behavioural rules that originate from (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.057)

  Re: Do market based societies select for virtue? (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) This is all very Hayek - he proposed that the systems of behaviour in humanity is evolving – and that they survive because they are useful, in that they help “society”. He believed that The market had survived the test of time this based on (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.056)

  Do market based societies select for virtue? (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

Scott's going to regret turning me on to Friedman! (...) Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just can't buy this "people are basically bad, and societies that depend on honesty are doomed to fail" argument that comes from so many (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.056)

  Re: Libertarian debate in danger of pollution (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) ?? In the way the LUGNet trademark device has beauty? That is, it's logically inconsistent, but pretty, in a decorative way? This and something David Low said got me thinking. Is it possible that all or part of the intellectual attractiveness (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.055)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

Now I know exactly what Larry means when saying that all you do is snipe. In your earlier posts, you lured me in by saying enough to trick me into believing that you were interested in talking about it. Now, the best I get is one liners. (...) And (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.055)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) I'll answer this once search is working again. (...) I'd argue that it is more important that a society ensures its citizen has the right to shelter & sustenance... before any other right. In your dreamland, those within it have all sorts of (...) (24 years ago, 12-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.054)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) In a way, there are no copyrights -- not actually. Rights are sustained by belligerent contest in court, and less formally by social custom -- but the idea that others will ACTUALLY not copy your work is illusory. Trust me, it's true. And I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.054)

  Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts

(...) In a way, there are no copyrights -- not actually. Rights are sustained by belligerent contest in court, and less formally by social custom -- but the idea that others will ACTUALLY not copy your work is illusory. Trust me, it's true. And I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.054)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) we (...) Why? Seriously. Is the creation of an individual human life a reasonable analogy? Do you advocate parents having the same rights over their children that you are accepting of your God having over us? (...) I think that creating life (...) (24 years ago, 4-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.053)

More:  Next Page >>