 Off-Topic / Debate / 9988
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:31:58 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:

When I learned of the holocaust in the history classes of my youth, I
learned that 12 million persons died in that tragic event -- not just 6
million.  When I write "just", I am in no way trying to minimize the
staggering enormity of the numbers of Jews that comprised those counted in
that 6 million, but in fairness I am saying that to my knowledge that is
only half of the numbers of the total victims.

The "6 million Jews"/"12 million people" confusion has been prevalent
for a long time. A reasonable speculation would be that the holocaust
most primarly did target Jews, and they are also the largest demographic
of holocaust survivors, and therefore have the loudest living voice (how
many times have you met a Gypsie?). "12 million people, half of which
were Jews" just doesn't have the same plight-of-my-people impact as "6
million Jews".

--

Regards

Micah J. Mabelitini - LUGNET #918 - accutron@kih.net
The University of Kentucky - SECC Middlesboro ASC
http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/brickdreams/
http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/rcxbug/