 Off-Topic / Debate / 9985
Re: was (RCX+PC=Rubik's Cube Solver) RCX & VC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 08:52:18 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.vc, Eric Sophie writes:

Alternate control program writing is a fine thing, it's just not for me, I
think it's a past time all to it'self, and not necc. a by-product of the
shortcommings of RCX code, let's face it somebody figures out how the
internals of the RCX code works, and they recognize common software
pricipals, and decide - Hey I can alter this and make more of it. That's
cool, but my focus is Lego and not re-writing what came out of the Box. I
think one should reach a platuea in building, because that's the nitty
gritty of the creation, not haking into the software and writing another
version. The Harshest thing I say to those who did, what did you build? did
you stick wheels on an RCX and then out grow it's cababilities? Make a Human
size Robot and mayby I'll think different.

Hi Eric.

I agree to a point, but I use LegOS because I'm a programmer and I like getting
dirty. And it does allow me to do things RCX code can't - I used it on my tower
crane www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/towercrane so I could control both RCXs with
1 remote. That cannot be done with RCX code.

I know this makes me sound like a big head, It's just that I'm a purist all
the way......

NO cut or modified Pcs.
NO Glue or Lubricants.
Nothing other than what Lego produces.

I also used some lubricant on the main turntable, though with a bit more work,
this may have been unnecessary 8?)

I have modified Lego in the past, but since my dark ages, the bricks themselves
have remained "pure". I've even resisted people urging me to buy Mega Bloks for
bulk grey bricks. So far. 8?)

Regards,

ROSCO