 Off-Topic / Debate / 9972
Re: Geology from Outer Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:35:52 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Oh, come, come now. They didn't really mean that every SPECIES of animal
went in the ark. Just every KIND.

I see--two prokaryotes and two eukaryotes.  *Now* I understand!
What could I have been thinking??

You are lost in a maze of twisty little contradictions, all alike.

Ah, Zork!  An all-time favorites!

You know, I never actually played Zork. My pastiche paid homage to Zork's
predecessor, ADVENT, which I *have* played on such machines as the UNIVAC
1100/80, the IBM 4341, and the Commodore PET.

It's kind of neat the caver connection to Advent. Crowther's wife was
one of the people who participated in the exploration which connected
Mammoth and Flint Ridge caves (and is what really won the cold war - at
the time of the connection, three caves were vying for the longest cave
in the world, Mammoth, Flint Ridge, and a Russian cave...). Advent was
actually originally written as just an interractive map, which turned
out to be quite accurate. One time a group of cavers was taking a
visitor who was an Advent fan through the cave. At one point, she
suddenly dashed down an obscure side passage. They asked her why, her
response was that she had to go see Witt's End. When they were ready to
leave, they let her lead the way out.

Advent has been ported to the Infocom virtual machine, I'll have to load
it onto my Palm Pilot before going out to the LUGLOLA meeting.

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.fun

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com