 Off-Topic / Debate / 9876
Re: Robert gets to invalidate logic (was Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 02:35:57 GMT

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 02:28:56 GMT, "Bruce Schlickbernd"
<corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote:

Yeah, you're
right, I'm wrong.  That's what you're really looking for isn't it
James?  No need to feel ashamed if it is, I have no problems in
letting you believe I'm wrong and you're right.

There no reason to say this except to let him know that you don't really
believe he's right and your wrong, i.e. you *do* have a problem letting him
believe you're wrong and he's right.

Bruce

Ahh, but that's only your interpretation of it, remember, I'm an
experienced social engineer.  Given that you really can't say what I
really mean or think.

More sophistries.  And yes, I can say it (there it is above).  Not only
that, I'm right.

Let's keep you thinking that way, shall we?

That's not to say I'm trying to manipulate
anybody, it just means I'm trying to control the way the debate
unfolds.

You failed in your stated purpose. It seems you aren't as clever as you like
to think you are.

I like how you say I failed in my stated purpose, but then fail to
explain why.  Not that it's any real surprise.

In these debates I'm often times looking for specific
emotions and feelings, that way I can better understand my opponents
position.

Sometimes known as jerking people around.  What's the point when you are
being so transparent about it?  The only person you are fooling is yourself.

If you say so.

As I said before, I'm a Nihilist, so I don't really have an
absolute opinion on anything, in either case.  I could just as well be
arguing the other side of the issue tomorrow, and I probably will.

So you'll be admitting that you were being a fraud tomorrow?  Oh, how
condescending of you.  :-)

Bruce

No, not at all.  When I take a side I try to argue and debate it as if
I do truly believe in it.  I'm not a fraud, I just don't have a set of
beliefs that are written in stone.  I try to redefine my beliefs and
understanding through debating.  However the best way I've found to do
that is to argue against the side I'm actually in agreement with.

Robert